Tuesday 5 May 2020

Bake Off Challenge!

Bake Off Challenge!


I made macaroni and cheese for dinner, it was very cheesy. It took me about an hour and a half to make and this is the recipe. I got it from the Edmonds Beginner's Cookbook. I've made it lots before.

- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion cut up into small pieces
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk, salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese
- 2 cups macaroni elbows (you need to boil these in another pot)

1. Make the oven 180˚C.

2. Start boiling some water for the pasta.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and cook on a low heat for about 5 minutes or until the onion is soft and clear. Put the onion in at the same time as the butter; I didn't do this and the butter got a bit burned. Keep watching the onion and stir all the time because otherwise it burns.
4. When the water in the other pot boils, add in the pasta, and then cook them until it's soft.
5. While the pasta is cooking, keep going with the sauce. Stir in the flour and keep cooking and stirring, until it boils a bit. 
6. Turn off the element and add the milk gradually, stirring at the same time.
7. Put the element back on, and cook until the sauce gets thick. Be careful that it won't get too hot and burn, and keep stirring so it won't get stuck on the bottom. Take the pot off the stove and put in some salt and pepper.
8. The pasta should be done by now. Drain the water off. I usually get mum or dad to do this bit because it's difficult and the pot's usually heavy.
9. Grate 1 and a half cups of cheese. Put 1 cup of cheese in the sauce pot and stir it around.
10. Then you put the macaroni on the bottom of an oven-proof dish, and then spread the sauce on top. Then sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top. If it doesn't seem like it's covering the entire dish, you can grate some more cheese.
8. Cook in the oven until the top looks a bit golden. Put on a timer for 17 minutes, and then check it after 17 minutes. It should be almost ready then or ready. If it's not ready, cook a little bit longer until it's golden.

My rating is 9/10 for deliciousness. I would have done 10/10 if I didn't burn the onions the first time and have to do them again.


8 comments:

  1. I have just one word for your Zac....delicious! I just love macaroni cheese, with some bacon in it. It was one of the first things my Mum taught me to cook. Kauri Team teachers are all baking something this week and we are going to ask students to guess who made each thing. This means I can't tell you what I have been baking today. You will have to wait and guess on Friday. There will be a Google Slide with all the teachers baking on our class blog. I wonder if you will be able to guess my efforts? What else have you been learning to cook? I remember a blog post showing some mini apple pies. Anything else? Or is there something that you want to learn to make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora, Zac. I agree with Jo when she said your macaroni cheese looks delicious. You are clearly an expert at making this as you said you've made it lots before. We all make mistakes with our cooking sometimes, and love that you didn't give up when you burnt your onions. Do you have any other recipes that you enjoy cooking alot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mac and cheese
    looks so good

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks so good zac I wish I could try it

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the results were delicious! Great work Zac!
    I liked when you gave the rating of 9/10 after the small matter of the burnt onions :D looking forward to the next cooking adventure

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Zac, I think it's great that you can pretty much cook mac and cheese all by yourself now; you've worked really hard to get good at it. I look forward to Saturday nights because they are your cooking nights :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious. We will have to come visit once the restrictions are lifted. I'll make sure it is on a Saturday!!
    Aunty Megan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Zac, Ted here. I wish i could eat that it looks so Delicious. Bye

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.